Monday 15 August 2011

Night Weaning

As the title say, I'm attempting to wean my 14 month of son from breastfeeding over a 7 hour block at night.  Reading that back to myself, I sound terribly pessimistic & lacking in confidence.  That would probably be from the fact my son is just like his father: if he could never take his face out of a set of boobs, he'd be one happy kid.

But the fault isn't entirely Jack's.  I have my own part to play.  I find night feeding exhausting, but convenient.  I was never able to learn any other ways of settling my baby, and if I'm honest, I never wanted to.  Breast feeding a baby to sleep is so natural and so right on even a hormonal level (breastfeeding releases 'sleepy' hormones into the baby), but more so on a nurturing level.  But at some stage, it wears a little thin on a modern woman.

So, why night wean at all?  Firstly, I'm exhausted.  Jack wakes about every 1-2 hours at this stage.  He hasn't always been like this.  He used to be quite a good sleeper, waking only two to three times.  And for 5 exceptional nights in November 2010, he slept all night.  Not the 5 hour stint 'sleep through' definition they use in sleep studies (more on that later!), but the full monty.  The details are hazy now, but it was at least 9 hours.  Five nights.  That's all I got.  Since then, it has been getting progressively worse.  So yeah, I'm a bit bloody tired.

The second reason is that we're hoping to start IVF again for baby v2.0.  But I need to have Jack weaned, 100% for around a month.  Actually, not even that long.  Basically, wean, then start on the next cycle.  But I think I can get away with 2 feeds a day.  I think the milk will start to taste a bit funny when I start hormone treatment.  I'd hate for Jack to grow boobs again.  I say again, because when he was about 6 days old, I felt a bit of a boob on him.  It's fairly common for the all hormones in early breastfeeding to transfer to the newborn & for them (boy or girl) to grow a small boob or two.  Needless to say, I FREAKED.  But Dr Google set me straight, for a change.

So IVF needs total weaning.  I'm starting with nights because they seem the most superfluous.  I suspect his frequent snacking at night may be a contributing factor to him scarcely eating solids.  He's lucky to eat half a cup of food, some days - and that's only if I break bits off what I'm eating & feed him like a bird (okay... not quite like a bird. I don't vomit pre-chewed & swallowed food into his mouth).  So, here's hoping, if I can sort out nights, he might eat more in the day, & then want to naturally wean.  Maybe.  Crossing fingers.

I've read through a whole bunch of advice on weaning.  Rule 1) no cold turkey.  Well, duh.  Can you say, 'mastitis'? Not to mention a whole 14 month relationship of love & trust gone down the gurgler.  Rule 2) offer water or solids before breast.  LOL.  You clearly haven't met my baby.  He'll sip water into his mouth, then open his mouth & let it all run onto the floor to play with later.  And solids... well, it's any one's guess as to what he wants to eat this week.  For a while, yogurt was his staple food.  And another time, it was cheese.  This week: NFI.  I've never seen anyone less interested in food.  He'll always have a go at spaghetti, but I don't want to wear out it's novelty by serving it every meal.  I'm sure there was a whole bunch of other rules... they all blend into the background.  So if day weaning is a mystery - how are you going to do it at night?!

Enter Dr Jay Gordon.  An American pediatrician that doesn't think Tizzy Hall is pin-up girl (yuck - I just retched on that & I wrote it).  He's written an interesting article on changing sleep patterns in co-sleeping, breastfed babies.  How refreshing!  Not only that, but it actually makes an ounce of sense, and is seemingly achievable.  Here's the page: Sleep, Changing Patterns In The Family Bed.

To fit my husband's roster of 4 days, 4 nights, 4 off, I adjusted the schedule he's offered.  Tonight is night 4 of the first stage.  How is it going?  Well, Jack seems to be sleeping slightly better.  He usually does 2hr stints until I bring him back to my bed.  Then the milkbar opens, in his mind. I have been managing to put him back awake-ish (except last night, where I fell asleep for an unknown interval).  But what does that mean anyway???  Awake.  Eyes open? Nope.  Moderately awake of himself? Possibly.  Cries & protests for a short time before giving up & going back to sleep? Sometimes.  Rolls over himself & snuggles back into me? yes.  But is that what Dr Jay means by 'awake'?  Did I skim over the definition somewhere in desperation to get the actual instructions on how to get a 3 hour sleep for the first time in a long long time?  Please leave a comment if you know the actual answer, or something close to it.

mins up to an hour.  I think Jack, unless he's choosing to surprise me, will be closer to, or further, than 1 hour.  Coincidentally, my husband's boss has asked him to change crews... starting tomorrow night.  He's doing 4 extra night shifts.  I'm weaning Jack.  Alone.  Hmm... I can see who has the rough end of the stick here.

The third part of the weaning is so far away, I can't even see it.  I read it, but I'm to tired to recall it, and it's so far off into the sunset, I'm not re-reading it now.

So... Night weaning... it continues.  Wish me luck!

Oh, and I started a new blog.  Ambitious, I know.  Two blogs on the go.  But as long as the TV keeps providing such value-adding baby-sitting, I will persist.
House Of Nom Food Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment